Instagram Reels Vs TikTok? Many business owners, marketers, and influencers are aware of the sheer power that both Instagram and TikTok can have on their annual growth. Although both are superb for increasing your social media following, creating content for each video-sharing platform can be difficult. If you’re in this position, should you use Instagram reels or TikTok?
Undoubtedly you should be using TikTok over Instagram reels if you had to choose between one another. This is because of TikTok’s extremely engaging algorithm. For example, Jennifer Lopez had 5 million TikTok followers, which generated over 71 million views on a single video.
As you can see from the above, the engagement you’re able to retrieve from TikTok is incredible. With the help of a sophisticated algorithm, they’re able to massively boost your content by putting it in front of those interested. This works great if you’re looking to enhance your social media following or brand awareness.
Still not convinced that you should be using TikTok over Instagram reels? You should check out the below.
Instagram Reels Vs TikTok: Target Audience
Something that is a big decider for many companies, influencers or marketers is the general target audience. This makes perfect sense as depending on your end goal, you’ll want an audience suitable to take action. To help gain a better insight into both the Instagram and TikTok audiences, see below:
- Instagram reels – When it comes to a target audience, Instagram has a much broader and diverse demographic. The key demographic we’ll look at is age. On Instagram, people between 25 to 34 make up most of the platform at around 33.1% (men and women). Another high percentage of users are 18 to 24-year-olds, at a shared percentage of 6% of men and women.
- TikTok – Now, if you’re looking at the general audience’s age for TikTok, it’s a lot younger. The two main age groups you’ll find are between 10 to 19 (5%) and 20 to 29 (29.5%). This is superb for most eCommerce stores as 78% of internet users aged between 16 and 24 years old made a purchase online back in 2020.
From the above, you should be able to get a better visualisation of who you’ll find on each of these platforms. Although both are very similar, TikTok wins due to more users aged between 16 and 24. As we’re aware, these are a “golden” audience because of the amount they buy online.
Understanding the demographic by age on these platforms is great, but what about the total analytics? This is where it gets fascinating. As we’re aware, both of these platforms are highly popular, but how do these mass amounts of people like, engage and share videos located on their feed?
- Instagram reels – Instagram has around 074 billion active users on its platform. From this mass amount of users, it’s suggested that Instagram videos get around 0.75% engagement. To better understand this, for every 100 viewers, 0.75 of them will engage with your video, meaning you’ll likely need 125 views to get at least one like on a video.
- TikTok – The number of users both of these platforms contain is exceptionally similar, as TikTok also has around 1 billion active users. However, the engagement levels are much, much higher. Let’s take the Jennifer Lopez example again. It was shown that she receive 75 million views on a video when she only had 5 million followers, which means that for every 100 followers, she gained 1,400 views, which is outstanding.
From the above, you can quickly see that TikTok’s algorithm is much more potent than Instagram’s. From this increase of views, Jennifer would gain many new followers across all social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
Video editing features
Both platforms come equipped with video editing features, and surprisingly, they’re both remarkably similar. It is evident that Instagram copied TikTok because of its enormous success since its release back in September 2016.Here are some of the main features you’ll receive on both platforms:
- Audio – You’ll be able to choose any song within their library to overlap your video. This is great for dance challenges or just to spice up your video.
- Speed – Here, you’ll be able to slow or speed up your footage.
- Effects – Both platforms have special effects you can implement into your videos like image overlays, AR visual effects, etc.
- Timer – Another important feature, the timer. This is great if you’re making a video with a tripod and you need to get into position.
As you can see, both have the “standard” video editing features for when it comes to video-sharing platforms like this. But, which one is the best?
When it comes to editing the videos for either TikTok or Instagram, TikTok is the undisputed winner. It goes without saying that with TikTok’s editing software, you’re able to create TikTok-like videos in a flash, and it’s superb for all non-technical individuals.
What do businesses think?
Choosing between the two platforms can be difficult. But, what do other businesses think of both TikTok and Instagram reels?
According to this post, around 61% of advertisers said that Instagram reels aren’t a competitor towards TikTok. This is because it just doesn’t have the bells and whistles that TikTok contains. The target audience, popularity, and algorithm aren’t comparable.
On Instagram, it’s difficult for new creators to find an audience. But, this isn’t the case for TikTok. Their trendy viral challenges and great algorithm helps new creators become noticed in this busy social media world.
Because of this, many old and new businesses have flocked to TikTok in the hopes it’ll start to generate their desired outcome. From real estate brokerages, investors to pet groomers, the possibility of increasing your social appearance is remarkable and has never been easier than today on TikTok.
Instagram Reels Vs TikTok – which should you use?
At the end of the day, if you’re a new or well-established business, you need to be considering TikTok. As we can see from the above, it’s a powerful video-sharing platform that is simple to use but can provide excellent outcomes.
Suppose you’re seriously thinking about investing time and effort into either creating content to increase brand exposure, sales, or social appearance. In that case, you should be studying the in’s and out’s of TikTok to enhance your knowledge on the platform.